Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Getting a new view on life


Abby asked me recently how to get a new view on life. She is struggling with enjoying the things she must do like school and driving. I said that the end goal of the day or her life wasn't the education and the success of that or the getting of her license and then driving. But that those things were means to something bigger and better. And that the "failures" in life were just as important as the successes in making us more whole people. If we were never sick, why would we need a doctor? If we never fail, why would we ever need Jesus?
I've been struggling with the idea of embracing disappointment as just as important as joy in making me a more whole person. I want to fight against the events and people who disappoint and ask why and what are you doing God to make this happen. It may be no more than life has ups and downs and I need to understand that both are important to making me whole. Some days it feels so random; things happen, we react. Life goes on. But just like Abby I need a view on life. It isn't the daily activities that give me purpose in doing them. It is the reason I do them and for whom I do them that give me meaning and fulfillment.

No comments: